Community assessment of public services and its role in decision-making for local development
This study aims to highlight the perception of residents about public services provided by the local government and residents’ perception of participation in public decision-making for the allocation of economic resources by the local government. The research method in this study is based on the study of literature, analysis, and monitoring carried out by independent institutions and organizations on community participation in local government decision-making (Desk research) and observation through interviewing residents in the area of study for the collection of primary data. The results of this study show the fragility of the approach of community involvement in local government for local planning and development in the study area. The improvement of public services and the active participation of residents in local planning and development is one of the most important objectives of local government reform. Efforts for sustainable development, referring also to the data of this study, should be accompanied by efforts to build and consolidate the community field.
Keywords:Public decision-making, community participation, public services, local development.
• Durres municipality - www.durres.gov.al. Available at: https://www.durres.gov.al/ [Accessed 27 Feb.2023].
• Carreira, V., Machado, J. and Vasconcelos, L. (2016). Engaging Citizen Participation—A Result of Trusting Governmental Institutions and Politicians in the Portuguese Democracy. Social Sciences, 5(3), p.40. doi:https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci5030040.
• Correia, D., Lourenço Marques, J. and Teixeira, L. (2021). City@Path: A collaborative smart city planning and assessment tool. International
Journal of Transport Development and Integration, 6(1), pp.66–80. doi:https://doi.org/10.2495/tdiv6-n1-66-80.
• Deshati E., Gorica K., (2022) “Strategic entrepreneurial responses, to the economic, social, political, and technological environment – A literature review” (Pages 55-63), https://crj.cit.edu.al/cit-review-journal-november-issue-2022
• Correia, D., Teixeira, L. and Marques, J. (2020). Triangular Pyramid Trunk: The Three Axes of the Smart City Assessment Tool. WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment, [online] 241(XI). doi:https://doi.org/10.2495/sdp200071
• Cortés-Cediel, M.E., Cantador, I. and Bolívar, M.P.R. (2019). Analyzing Citizen Participation and Engagement in European Smart Cities. Social Science Computer Review, 39(4), p.089443931987747. doi:https://doi.org/10.1177/0894439319877478
• Homans, G. (2013). The Human Group and Elementary Social Behaviour | infed.org. [online] Infed.org. Available at: https://infed.org/mobi/george-c-homans-the-human-group-and-elementary-social-behaviour/.
• Kaplan, S. (2000). Human Nature and Environmentally Responsible Behavior. Journal of Social Issues, 56, 491-505. - References - Scientific Research Publishing. [online] www.scirp.org. Available at: https://www.scirp.org/(S(351jmbntvnsjt1aadkposzje))/reference/referencespapers.aspx?referenceid=2905295 [Accessed 27 Feb. 2023].
• Knezheviq, L., Stefa, A., Guga, B. and Agolli, A. (2013). Citizen participation and cooperation between the civil sector and local self-governments in Montenegro and Albania. Podgorice: Studio Mouse.
• Demi A. (M)., Xhakolli M.,(2020) “Gender indicator within labour marke” CIT Review-Journal November 2020, (Pages 24-30) https://crj.cit.edu.al/
• Krasniqi, A., Niklekaj, R., Jaupaj, S. and Ymet, L. (2018). Monitoring report of the level and balance of public consultations, citizen participation and accountability. Tirana: Institute of Political Studies.
• Oliveira, A. and Campolargo, M. (2015). From Smart Cities to Human Smart Cities. In: 48th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Kauai, HI, USA. [online] Kauai, USA: IEEE. Available at: 978-1-4799-7367-5.
• Administrative-Territorial Reform, Technical Criteria for the new Administrative-Territorial Division. (2014). Minister for Domestic Affairs.
• Shtetiweb (n.d.). New Territorial Administrative Division. [online] ShtetiWeb. Available at: https://shtetiweb.org/ndarja-e-re-administrative-territoriale/[Accessed 27 Feb. 2023].
• Swianiewicz, P., Young, D., Erik Ericsson, L., Dakoli, A., Dhimitri, A. and etj. (2014). Administrative-Territorial Reform, Analysis of Local Government Situation in Albania.
• Wilkinson, K.P. (1999). The Community in Rural America. Middleton, Wisc.: Social Ecology Press.
• Winston, N. (2021). Sustainable community development: Integrating social and environmental sustainability for sustainable housing and communities. Sustainable Development, [online] 30(1). Available at: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Sustainable-community-development%3A-Integrating-and-Winston/886329255a3b7888cd-87723cb7660c53b9de3f1 [Accessed 27 Feb. 2023].
• Wolf, J., Borges, M., Marques, J.L. and Castro, E. (2018). Smarter Decisions for Smarter Cities: Lessons Learned from Strategic Plans. New Paths of EntrepreneurshipDevelopment, pp.7–30. doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-96032-6_2.
• World Commission on Environment and Development (1987). Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development: United NationsDigital Library System. [online] Available at: https:// digitallibrary.un.org/record/139811